You can visit most of our sites without providing any personal information. When personal information is requested, we adhere to the following privacy principles regarding how we collect, use, disclose, transfer, and store your information.
- Information Collection. When you create or register an account on one of our sites, add profile information, or take other similar actions, we may collect or obtain from you or your membership records (if applicable) information including, but not limited to, your name, address, e-mail address, phone number, date of birth, photo, contact or profile preferences.
Actively Submitted Data. If you call us, send us an email or fill out a form on one of our Sites, you will know what information you provide because you will actively submit it to us.
- Use of Personal Information. We may use the personal information you provide to (a) allow us to contact you, (b) fulfill requests you make, (c) seek your voluntary feedback on website features or content, or (d) assist you.
We may also use your personal information for internal purposes, including auditing, data analysis, system troubleshooting, and research.
In addition, we may use both the personal information you provided and the information your web browser sends (see section 9 below) in order to detect users who appear to be causing harm to our sites or in order to personalize users’ experiences on our sites.
If your information will be used for any purpose besides those outlined above, we will specifically inform you and obtain your consent, if legally required.
From time to time, we may also make you aware of options to opt out of using or opt in to use certain features.
- Content Submissions. On some of our sites you may provide content and comments to be published. Such content may be intended to be publicly available and viewable by others (for example, written testimonials). In instances where your content submissions will be made public, we will ask for your express agreement before we proceed.
All types of content submissions you provide will be stored either on our systems or the systems of our affiliates or third parties (as defined in section 6a below). While industry standards are used to safeguard your submissions from unauthorized access, disclosure, or modification (as defined in section 7 below), we cannot guarantee complete privacy and we may, in some instances, choose or be legally required to disclose such information to third parties as outlined in section 6 of this policy.
- Retention. We retain collected personal information and submissions for a reasonable period of time to fulfill the collection purpose and then delete it from our records, with the exception of limited historical profile information, general genealogy records, and membership information retained as part of a permanent genealogical or historical record.
- Access. We endeavor to maintain the accuracy of personal information and rely on you to ensure your personal information is complete and accurate. You may verify, correct, or remove your personal information through your website-specific registration, through your profile, or through your Fuego Account, where applicable.
- Information Sharing and Disclosure. We regard your personal information as confidential and do not rent, sell or otherwise share it to anyone. We do not share your personal information with other parties except in the following circumstances (or in other instances where we specifically inform you and obtain your prior consent):
- Legal Requirements. We may access and disclose your personal information, posts, journal entries, online chats, personal notes, content, or other submissions to any website if we have a good-faith belief that doing so is required by a subpoena or other judicial or administrative order or otherwise required by law. Additionally, we may disclose your personal information and other information where we, in good faith, deem it appropriate or necessary to prevent a violation of our other agreements; to take precautions against liability; to protect the rights, property, or safety of the site, of any individual, or of the general public; to maintain and protect the security and integrity of our services or infrastructure; to protect ourselves and our services from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses; to investigate and defend ourselves against third-party claims or allegations; or to assist government law enforcement agencies.
- Protection of Information. We use technical and organizational measures to protect the personal information we receive against loss, misuse, and unauthorized alteration and to protect its confidentiality. We regularly review our security procedures and consider appropriate new security technology and methods. We also use current encryption technology to encrypt the transmission of data on our log-in pages. However, because we cannot guarantee the complete security of these encryption technologies, please use caution when submitting personal information online.
- Third-Party Data. Where local law permits, you may submit personal information, including contact information about someone other than yourself (in other words, a third party) to allow us to make contact with that person, or otherwise meet your request. The information collected will be used solely to facilitate your request. When providing personal information about anyone other than yourself, you must first obtain the other person’s informed consent if his or her consent is legally required. If you or someone else has provided us with your personal contact information and you would like to request that we do not contact you further, please follow the unsubscribe or opt-out procedures provided on the specific site, newsletter, e-mail notification, or the like.
- Passive Data Collection: Tracking Technologies, Cookies, and Clear GIFs. When you visit any of our sites, our servers or filtering systems may collect information that your web browser sends any time you visit a website. This information may include but is not limited to your browser type, your operating system, your language preference, any referring web page you were visiting before you came to our site, the date and time of each visitor request, and information you search for on our sites.
We collect this information to better understand how you use and interact with our sites in order to improve your experience. We may also share this information with our employees, contractors, service providers, and affiliated entities as defined in section 6.
You can change your web browser settings to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the sites you visit. If you do not accept cookies, however, you may not be able to use some sections or functions of our sites. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org. To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- Children’s Privacy. We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13 on most of our sites. Any of our sites that collect children’s information will do so only with the prior express and informed consent of the child’s parent or guardian in compliance with applicable law. We strongly recommend that minors under the age of 18 ask their parents for permission before sending any personal information to anyone over the Internet, and we encourage parents to teach their children about safe Internet use practices.
- Third-Party Links. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of any third-party sites. For your own protection, you should review the policies of other sites to ensure they meet your personal privacy expectations.
Effective Date: July 1, 2019.